Home > Choosing A Cosmetic Dentist
Dallas Cosmetic Dentist
Dental problems are difficult to correct because every personís smile, and the problems they are suffering from, are unique. The science of cosmetic dentistry employs a myriad of different cosmetic dental treatments and procedures to correct or improve the appearance of your smile.
This is why you want a dentist who specializes in cosmetic dentistry. Unfortunately, not all dentists are trained in cosmetic dentistry. The American Dental Association does not issue special certifications or licenses indicating which dentists are cosmetic dentists and which are not. The dentist you go to for twice yearly check-ups is probably not going to be the same dentist you go to for cosmetic enhancement.
ďMy favorite place to go, hard to believe itís a dentist office.Ē -Bob Hanton
Because of this, you want to make sure that the dentist you choose to perform your treatment has the post-graduate, cosmetic dentistry training that you need for the results you are looking for. Not all dentists have cosmetic dentistry training, and the American Dental Association doesn’t have special indications to determine which dentists are cosmetic and which are not. For the most part, the dentist you regularly go to is not necessarily the same dentist you would go to for cosmetic treatment.
If you would like to find a cosmetic dentist in your area, look for dentists who have received additional education and cosmetic dentistry training from cosmetic dentistry universities or other organizations.
To determine if the dentist you are considering has the qualifications necessary to perform your procedures, make sure they have had training from a post-graduate dental organization. One of the most prominent post-alumni dental organizations is the Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies, or LVI. Dr. Alhadef is an LVI alumni and has completed extensive courses and training in all areas of cosmetic dentistry.
When choosing a cosmetic dentist, there are four steps that you can follow to put you on the right track for making a selection that is right for you:
- Refer to directories, commercials, web sites and other advertising.
- Ask your friends and family for references.
- Check with the aforementioned accredited cosmetic dentistry organizations:
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Society of Dental Aesthetics
- Ask your dentist and/or doctor if there’s anyone he or she recommends.
After you have found a cosmetic dentist in your area, it is important to make sure they are a qualified professional:
- Ask the dentist for references.
- Ask the dentist how many times he or she has performed the specific procedure(s) you want done, and what the rates of complication are.
- Check with the dental licensing board in your state. (This varies by state -- an internet search regarding the medical licensing board in your state is the best place to start.)
- Verify credentials and training. Typically, you want a dentist who is exclusively a cosmetic dentist, or at least one who devotes the majority of their practice to cosmetic dentistry. Ask your dentist questions about how long they’ve been practicing cosmetic dentistry, what organizations they belong to, what specific cosmetic dentistry training they have (not just dental training), and ask to see some before and after photos of previous patients.
- Check for any medical malpractice suits filed with the clerk of the county or circuit court in the area(s) where your cosmetic dentist has practiced. At minimum, consider three medical malpractice judgments against a doctor within five years to be a warning sign.
When learning information about the cosmetic dentist you are considering, it is important that you feel completely comfortable through the entire process, if you begin to feel uncomfortable, or if you are unhappy with anything about the dentist, it may be time to continue your search.
If you live in the Dallas, Plano, Irving, Fort Worth, Texas area and you are considering cosmetic dentistry, contact cosmetic dentist Dr. Alhadef today to schedule your initial consultation. During your initial consultation, Dr. Alhadef will answer all your questions and help you determine what cosmetic dentistry procedures are right for you.
Gary E. Alhadef, DDS
8226 Douglas Ave Suite 753
Dallas, Tx 75225